Good morning dear readers. Firstly I had a very small Happy Dance. Trying to sort out a change in my rota ready for starting with the Sal Group, I decided that I was a little bored with just stitching crosses, and it was time to get some variety back in my life. With no speciality pieces on the go I decided I would keep the list from my UFOs (now WIPs) down to two, one for the group and one to stitch between it and for a change every few weeks I would pop something in between these two that was a little different. The first I have chosen was a little (very little) Drawn Thread design called “Heart Song”. It is mainly satin stitch with a little one over one cross stitch and should have been stitched on 36 count Belfast Linen. Two minutes into it and I soon realised there was no way my eyes, even with the aid of my magnifying lamp, would cope so it was changed to a 28 count I had in my stash. I still struggled and I know there are a couple of mistakes when I was counting between blocks, but overall I guess most people wouldn’t see them so I am happy.
Now to playing and this is card making. I have been watching John Lockwood quite a lot on Hochanda TV and reading his blog – “John Next Door”, and trying to use some of his tips. One of which is making two cards at the same time so that you do not waste card.
I cut a piece of card approx. 6 x 6 to fit a pre folded card I had in stock and cut the Sue Wilson “Bruge” die from the centre. Using the cut out piece I made the first card which is A6 size (approx. 4 x 6 inches which I think is called A2 in the USA). Then using the piece which would normally have been wasted, I mounted it onto the afore mentioned 6×6 card and using another bear from the same set of toppers I made the 2nd card. I am all for getting the most from my stash.
The next thing (again thanks to John Lockwood) was making pearls. Something I have always struggled with is making liquid pearls, but thanks to a wonderful tutorial from John the other day I had a play and am reasonably happy with the results. There is still a lot of room for improvement but at least its not a straight in the bin effort.
as you can see on the close up some are still a little flat or not quite round but they look far better than my usual efforts and with gems becoming so expensive it would be nice to have this string to my bow.
Lastly just a plain stamped card, using stamps from Phil Martin’s “Timeless” collection (borrowed from my daughter).
Whilst still far from perfect I do think my stamping is improving a bit.
Thanks to anyone who has managed to get to the bottom of this rather long post, please feel free to leave a comment, it makes me feel as though I am not talking to myself lol.
All for now